The Know India Programme (KIP) is organized in order to associate the younger generation of the Indian Diaspora closely with India. Nineteen such KIPs have been organised till now. The KIP provides a unique forum for students and young professionals of Indian origin to share their views, expectations and experience to bond closely with contemporary India. Each KIP is of three weeks duration and not exceeding 40 participants. The programmes have been greatly appreciated by the past KIP participants.
- The 20th KIP is expected to commence in April 2012, in partnership with the State Government of Goa.
- The 21st KIP is expected to commence in August 2012, in partnership with the State Government of Uttaranchal.
- The 22nd KIP is expected to commence in December 2012, in partnership with the State Government of Karnataka.
- The KIP is open to youth of Indian origin [excluding Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)] in the age group of 18-26 years as on the first day of the month in which the programme is expected to commence.
- The contents of each KIP may include the following:
- Presentations on the country, political process, developments in various sectors.
- Interaction with faculty and students at a prestigious University / College / Institute.
- Presentation on the industrial development and visits to some Industries / factories.
- Visit to a village to better understand the typical village life.
- Exposure to Indian media.
- Interaction with NGOs and organisations dealing with women affairs.
- Visit to places of Historical Importance / Monuments.
- Taking part in Cultural Programmes.
- Call on High Dignitaries, which may include President of India, Chief Election Commissioner of India, Comptroller and Auditor General of India, Ministers-in-charge of Overseas Indian Affairs, Youth Affairs and Sports, and other dignitaries.
7. The candidates should either be holding a Graduate Degree or studying for graduation. They should be able to converse in English (they should have studied English as a subject at the High School level or should have English as a medium of instruction for under-graduate course).
8. The applicant should not have participated in any previous KIP or Internship Programme for Diaspora Youth (IPDY). Students and those who have not visited India before are encouraged to apply.
9. The applicant should also enclose a medical fitness certificate from a General Physician along with their application, stating that the participant is medically fit to take part in this 3-week KIP in India.
10. If selected for the programme, the participants would take an overseas medical insurance to cover the duration of the visit, failing which they would not be issued visa to participate in the programme.
11. The participants are provided the following hospitality / facilities in India:
- Local hospitality e.g. boarding / lodging in State Guest Houses or budget hotels.
- Internal travel as per the Programme.
- Per diem allowance of Rs.100/- for out-of-pocket expenses.
- They may be granted Gratis Visa by Indian Mission / Posts abroad.
- 90% of the total cost of the air ticket for the cheapest economy class travel from the participant’s respective country to India and back is reimbursable to them by Indian Missions / Posts abroad after their successful participation in the KIP.
12. Selected applicants are required to abide by the regulations of the KIP as conveyed to them by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) or an agency nominated by it for the conduct of the KIP. The participants are required to offer their full cooperation in the smooth conduct of the KIP, and they are not expected to leave the KIP mid-way.
13. Nominations have to be forwarded through Indian Missions abroad and have to be endorsed by HOMs before being considered for selection. A copy of the nomination / registration forms and details of the KIP is available online at www.indianhighcommission.com.my/kip.php
14. The duly filled-in applications should be submitted either by hand / by post to:
High Commission of India,
No. 2, Jalan Taman Duta, Off Jalan Duta,
50480 Kuala Lumpur.
15. The last date for receipt of nominations for the 20th, 21st and 22nd KIPs should be sent by 05 March 2012, 25 June 2012, and 29 October 2102 respectively.